GT Facilities is requesting a complete shutdown of the College of Computing building's chilled water system to install interrupt valves that will allow them to perform future repairs with little to no impact on the building.
WHEN IS IT HAPPENING?
From Friday, May 21, 2010, at 5:00 PM to Monday, May 24, 2010, at 5:00 AM. This means that ALL of CCB will be without regulated temperature for approximately 60 hours.
WHY IS IT HAPPENING?
While troubleshooting a condensation problem on the main chilled water pipe into CCB, GT Facilities discovered that it was instead a leak caused by a severe case of rust. This chilled water pipe provides cooling for all of CCB. Without this feed, TSO will be unable to maintain proper operational temperatures for some equipment.
WHO IS AFFECTED?
In an effort to minimize the impact to the CoC community, TSO has done the following:
1. TSO and OIT have built a secondary network path out of KACB, so KACB and TSRB will have network connectivity during the outage.
2. Affected research projects will have accessible hosts housed in TSRB and KACB data centers.
3. CoC core services (email, home directories, web space, printing) are housed in the KACB data center; therefore, these services will be unaffected because of the new secondary network path mentioned in point one.
Please note that the following host/services will not be available during the maintenance:
- CS equipment (factor, gomez, himalaya)
- CompArch resources (pasta, sushi clusters, sampras)
- CERCS resources (vogue, awing, warp, maquis, polymoa, iLab, hebrides, netlab, sith, versace, malay2, jupiter)
- GTISC server racks
- CSE resources (hogwarts, jazz, cellbuzz, sunbuzz, ion, woolybear, house, pele)
- General resources (gaia, killerbee clusters, ARA - academic remote access, research server backups)
- HSI server rack
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO?
During the maintenance, please do not attempt to login to the host/services that will be unavailable.
WHO SHOULD YOU CONTACT FOR QUESTIONS?
TSO Help Desk (CCB 148, 404.894.7065, email@example.com).
Chilled Water Maintenance