The purpose of the TSO Faculty Advisory Committee is to support the strategic plan of Georgia Tech and the College of Computing through advisement of information technology support and service. The committee carries out this charge through research, dialog, advice, and communication. The Committee considers strategic issues related to technical architecture, standards, policies, risk, services, infrastructure, security, platforms, integration and data management. The Committee provides a framework in which decisions regarding CoC technology infrastructure, services and resource allocations can be made by the TSO Director.
- Advise the Director of TSO in regard to resource acquisition and allocations of computing resources and services of the College.
- Advise the Director of TSO in terms of setting policy, standards, and priorities for supporting the computing missions of the College with a focus on effective stewardship of available resources.
- Advise the Director of TSO in regard to effective communications to the faculty, staff and students so that everyone is kept informed about information technology issues and initiatives, and provide a mediation channel for the concerns and suggestions of College faculty, staff and students.
- Provide an independent "think tank" to anticipate the administrative, research and instructional computing needs of the College with input from the faculty, staff and students and convey that to TSO.
- Offer suggestions to TSO regarding ways to manage its operational efforts to provide service to the College.
- Offer suggestions to TSO regarding ways to impact information technology resources and services provided by Georgia Tech.
- Advocate for TSO with the Office of the Dean in terms of resource allocation for achieving overall goals.
- Periodically report to the Office of the Dean regarding the status of the committee and the progress towards meeting goals and objectives.
- The committee will meet at least monthly.
Individual committee members are appointed for their knowledge and understanding of contemporary and emerging technology; the strategic planning process; the College's mission for outstanding administration, instruction and research; the broad spectrum of needs and interests within the College; and the need for effective stewardship of scarce resources. Membership will include faculty and TSO management.
- There will be no Committee Chair until the committee recommends otherwise.
- The membership of the committee is composed of:
- One faculty member from each of the 4 CoC Schools: Computer Science (CS), Interactive Computing (IC), Computational Science and Engineering (CSE), and Cyber Security and Privacy (CP), appointed by the School Chairs.
- One faculty member from the Department of Computing Instruction (DCI), appointed by the Office of the Dean.
- Two ex officio members from the Office of the Dean: the Associate Dean of Academics and the Associate Dean of Research.
- Director of TSO.
- Associate Director of TSO Enterprise.
- Associate Director of TSO Research & Instruction.
- In the interest of maintaining institutional memory, members will have 2-year terms and may be re-appointed.
- Every year the committee will consist of at least 1 faculty member from the previous year.
- The very first committee will serve for 2 full years, and 1 faculty member of this first committee should serve for one additional 3rd year for continuity.
- Alexey Tumanov/Jun Xu, School of CS
- Seth Hutchinson, School of IC
- Spencer Bryngelson, School of CSE
- Paul Pearce, School of CP
- Richard Landry, Division of Computing Instruction
- Irfan Essa, Senior Associate Dean
- Tom Conte, Associate Dean of Research
- David White, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Interim Assistant Dean for Business Operations & Administration
- Uwanna Smith, Director of TSO
- Kim MacLeod, Associate Director of TSO Enterprise
- Dan Forsyth, Associate Director of TSO Research & Instruction
- 01/01/2022 - added David White
- 12/13/2021 - removed Alan Katz
- 09/27/2021 - added Alexey Tumanov as CS representative
- 09/10/2021 - removed Umit Catalyure and added Spencer Bryngelson as CSE representative
- 05/21/2021 - added Tom Conte
- 12/18/2020 - added Paul Pearce as CP representative, removed Monica Sweat and added Richard Landry as DCI representative, removed Charles Isbell and added Irfan Essa as Senior Associate Dean
- 10/24/2019 - removed Jason Riedy and added Umit Catalyurek as CSE representative
- 07/01/2019 - updated Kim MacLeod's title
- 08/23/2018 - removed Jacob Eisenstein and added Seth Hutchinson as IC representative
- 06/28/2018 - removed Brian Crowell and added Kim MacLeod
- 12/01/2017 - removed Taesoo Kim and added Jun Xu as CS representative and removed Ron Arkin
- 02/01/2016 - removed Chad Huneycutt and added Dan Forsyth
- 04/21/2015 - removed Sasha Boldyreva and added Taesoo Kim as CS representative and Jacob Eisenstein as IC representative
- 03/25/2015 - added Brian Crowell and Chad Huneycutt
- 01/21/2015 - removed Randy Carpenter and updated Uwanna's and Alan's titles
- 01/22/2014 - added Sasha Boldyreva as CS representative
- 01/14/2014 - added current members
- 09/25/2012 - approved by committee
- 08/31/2012 - updated to reflect input from the committee meeting on 08/30/2012
- 08/30/2012 - updated to reflect current TSO Faculty Advisory Committee organization and process
- 04/30/2007 - updated look+feel, changed "CNS" to "TSO", updated text to reflect new CoC Schools (RC)
- 11/16/2005 - created for CNS Advisory Committee