Each lab is responsible for initiating surplus of institute-owned equipment. Refer to the Georgia Tech policy on retiring equipment for detailed info. Please follow the procedure below:
First, collect all equipment you want to surplus in one location (not scattered all over a lab):
- The campus surplus folks will pick up the equipment directly from your lab
- TSO is no longer able to stage equipment for surplus
Remove all hard disk drives from computers, repurpose the ones you want to keep and give the rest to TSO:
- This is not optional!
- This is a campus data security policy.
- All hard drives are collected and destroyed seperately at a later date.
- If you are going to re-use the hard drive, follow the Recommendations for Erasing Hard Drives.
- Remove all memory, PCI cards, etc. that you want to keep (TSO does not want these items).
- Download the [CoC Surplus Excel Spreadsheet],
Complete all of the fields in the spreadsheet for each item to be surplussed:
- GT# (if present, the number on the Georgia Tech inventory sticker)
- Item Description (e.g. Dell Precision 220, HP LaserJet 4)
- Serial Number (e.g. the Dell Service Tag number, a printer serial number)
- Model Number
- Bldg. (the building where the equipment is located)
- Room# (the room where the equipment is located)
- Contact (the faculty owner, or lab manager name)
- Phone# (a number you can be reached at on the date you indicate below)
- Requested Pick Up Date (You will need to be present for sign off...pick a date that works for you)
- Email the completed spreadsheet to building@cc, firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com and copy your RT if applicable.
- Facilities sends the spreadsheet to the campus Capital Assets folks and updates it's inventory database.
- It usually takes about 1-3 days for the items to be picked up.
- The Capital Assets folks will call you and coordinate a time for pick up.
- Sign your name for the equipment pick up.
- Make a copy of the signed form and keep the copy for your records.
- Give the original signed form to Tonya Peoples (tonya@cc) and/or your RT if applicable